In my digital travels, i have coma across a great many pro-life advocates that utilize the bible as (seemingly) the primary basis for their views. I have seen this in my years of facebook debates, and I have even seen this here on WordPress.
I recently had a comment addressed to me on another blog from a Christian claiming that she didn’t have a clue where I was getting my “The bible is pro-choice” argument from. For those with similar view, I present you the evidence as compiled by The Skeptics Annotated Bible.
What the Bible says about Abortion
- Abortion is not murder. A fetus is not considered a human life.
- If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman’s husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life. — Exodus 21:22-23
- The Bible places no value on fetuses or infants less than one month old.
- And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver. — Leviticus 27:6
- Fetuses and infants less than one month old are not considered persons.
- Number the children of Levi after the house of their fathers, by their families: every male from a month old and upward shalt thou number them. And Moses numbered them according to the word of the LORD. — Numbers 3:15-16
- God sometimes approves of killing fetuses.
- And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? … Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. — Numbers 31:15-17
(Some of the non-virgin women must have been pregnant. They would have been killed along with their unborn fetuses.)
- Give them, O LORD: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. — Hosea 9:14
- Yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb. — Hosea 9:16
- Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. — Hosea 13:16
- God sometimes kills newborn babies to punish their parents.
- Because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die. — 2 Samuel 12:14
- God sometimes causes abortions by cursing unfaithful wives.
- The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. …
And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. — Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28
- God’s law sometimes requires the execution (by burning to death) of pregnant women.
- Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt. — Genesis 38:24
What the Bible says about Pregnancy
Give them, O LORD: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts.
Yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.
Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.
All life is sacred in the eyes of the lord!
- So much for that.
- Hate to break the news, but the bible is obviously not the anti-abortion publication that many of you Christians assumed it was. One would have thought this would be apparent by reading it, but hey. People are known to overlook inconvenient facts to their chosen viewpoint.
- I have seen this behavior on this very site, in a fairly high profile blogger that holds largely god-based pro-life views, but ignores this evidence that should obviously render his views incorrect.
- Keep in mind that just because the bible is apparently on my side (downright evil if you think about it. ironically), does not mean that the only alternative is a pro-choice viewpoint. There are people who have good secular pro-life arguments. And they tend to be better arguments, because they require a person to think before they come to a conclusion.
- I know its easy to just fall back on “The bible says so!”, but as shown, this is not always applicable. You can have a good and well reasoned prolife argument without the bible however. Though I would hope your willing to put more thought into it then just because its wrong!
- After all, you are sticking your nose into another persons life. You better have a good reason.